Salary Range: $25 to $33 (based on qualifications and experience)
Reports to: Principal Investigator in the Division of Infectious Disease, and the investigator’s collaborators.
Located principally at the Rocky Mountain Regional Denver VAMC campus in Aurora, with some time potentially spent at the VA Community Based Outpatient Clinics in Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Our primary interest is in natural history studies and multicenter randomized controlled trials investigating treatments and vaccinations for SARS-CoV-2, with potential involvement with other protocols within the Infectious Disease Division.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
· Perform study related activities: recruit, consent, and enroll study participants; scheduling; track patient participation; administer patient interviews and preparing assessments, interview human subjects participating in studies.
· Perform study related clinical tasks such as vital signs, phlebotomy, vaccination, collection of specimens such as oropharyngeal, nasopharyngeal or nasal mid-turbinate swabs. Coordinate diagnostic and non-diagnostic procedures.
· Monitor in-hospital study medication administration. Collaborate with inpatient Medicine and Specialty teams, as well as nursing staff for monitoring of study patients.
· Collaborate with investigational pharmacy staff and clinical pharmacy staff to ensure protocol adherence with study medication administration.
· Perform research lab activities: collection, transport, handling and processing of infectious biospecimens, centrifuge and aliquot specimens. Monitor lab equipment to ensure protocol-dictated lab environment requirements are met.
· Organization and tracking of a large biorepository, including distribution of collection kits, logging of samples and distributions of samples. IATA compliant shipping of biospecimens.
· Meticulously adhere to all Infection Control and Biosafety guidelines when working with study patients, handling and processing samples, and working within the research clinical setting. Operate safely in a BSL-2 environment.
· Monitor protocol adherence in all study activities and report any deviations
· Assist monitors from Contract Research Organizations at monitoring visits by pulling data, study regulatory documents, and subject records as needed.
· Diagnose and solve system/software problems, install applications software as related to research needs, provide computational research support, construction and population of databases, ad-hoc programming, as needed
· Abstract data from patient charts, tabulate research data, and validate quality of data elements/data editing.
· Collaboration with PI; diagnose and problem solve as it relates to the research project.
· Complete regulatory reports for a multi-center trial.
· Data entry into various electronic case reporting programs.
· Other Duties as required.
Competencies (include but are not limited to):
· Detail oriented
· Superior time management skills
· Organizational skills
· Excellent customer service skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Coaching and influencing skills.
· Ability to problem solve, manage multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision
· Ability to work in PPE that may include, but is not limited to: surgical mask, N-95 mask, PAPR (powered air-purifying respirator) or CAPR (controlled air-purifying respirator), face shield, protective gown or lab coat, and gloves.
Required Education and Experience:
- BA or BS in health-related fields or equivalent.
- Computer skills are critical, including proficiency in Microsoft Word/Outlook/Teams/Excel/Powerpoint.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Must be able to work on several projects simultaneously
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be patient and persistent
- Must be willing and able to acquire new skills as needed
- Must be able to work well in a high stress, rapid paced, team environment
· Phlebotomy skills.
· Prior experience working in clinical or lab-based scientific research.
· Prior experience with biospecimens in a lab environment.
- Prior experience in areas of IT, data entry, management, and data analysis.
- Experience working with veterans and non-veterans in a health care setting.
This job operates in a hospital-based, medical clinic-based, research lab and office-based environment. This role routinely uses medical, lab and standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools or controls. Reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies up to 20 pounds.
Possible travel to community-based outpatient clinics.
For all Full-Time and Part-Time Positions
DRI paid benefits after 30 days:
· Short Term Disability
· Long Term Disability
· Basic Life Insurance
· Paid Holidays (pro-rated for part-time)
For all Full-Time Positions
· 403(b) – employee match up to 5% eligibility from your first day.
Benefits for you and your family after 60 days of employment:
· Dental insurance
· Vision insurance
· Employee assistance program
· Flexible schedule
· Flexible spending account
· Dependent Care account
· Health insurance
· Health savings account with high deductible health care plan
· Buy-up life insurance
· Paid time off: Vacation, Sick, Personal Days, paid Holidays
Work Authorization/Security Clearance (if applicable)
Candidate must be able to be federally badged via a WOC (without compensation) Letter as administered by the VA and to include any background tests or screenings and VA form 10230 as require by the VA.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.